Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday Top 5: Bras So Cute I'm Tempted To Wear Them Without a Shirt

Even with all my preaching about the importance of a good foundation, and how if I had to choose between swine flu vaccine and a new bra, I would totally choose a new bra, I have somehow found myself in the midst of a dire bra shortage.

After some unfortunate laundering incidents turned my two favorite bras into mangled twists of wire and lace (yes, I ruined one bra this way, and then did it again), I'm currently down to two backup options--one which digs into my back like an angry gremlin and another which is so stretched out it makes me resemble one of Tyler Perry's elderly woman characters.

Since I'm excited to restock my supply, today's Tuesday Top 5 is focused on beautiful brassieres:

Midnight Grace "Daisy" underwire plunge bra, $36
Things I love: Blue, red, embroidery, flowers, bows, bras. Things I really love: This blue and red embroidered floral bra with a bow.

Elle Macpherson Intimates "Dentelle" contour bra, $65
Elle Macpherson bras don't usually fit me right, but they're so cute that I still try them on everytime I go bra shopping and end up on my knees in the dressing room, screaming, "WHY GOD WHY?!" until a sales clerk knocks on the door and is like, "Umm, ma'am? Everything OK in there?" and I'm like, "No, everything is definitely not OK."

While writing this post, I came across this supercute site for petite women with small busts, aka women who never have to worry about resembling a shockingly saggy Tyler Perry character. There are a ton of gorgeous options, but I thought this one was especially pretty and simple.

Oola Rocco (best brand name ever!) lace underwire bra, $45
I found this brand and style in a great post about plus sized bras over at Dramatis Personae. She said it looked lumpy under shirts, which is why I would wear it without a shirt. And then get arrested.

Natori "Sheer Scroll 131040" (Umm, Natori, that bra name sounds like a prisoner ID number), $38
Have I mentioned I'm obsessed with this color? Oh wait I mention that, like, everyday. I even mentioned it earlier in this post. Sorry about that.

21 comments:

Ashe Mischief said...

Admittedly, I was tempted to keep the Rococo as a boudoir bra ;D Bras really need to be more fun-- I'm SO in love with the Midnight Grace one... perfect!

Megan said...

To be fair, the last one totally looks like a bikini top for me, so you could almost wear it without a shirt. Y'know, as long as you were surrounded by sand and other people without their shirts on.

Rosie Unknown said...

They are all so gorgeous! Why do I have to be an A cup with wonderfully larger hips/butt? I have to wear bras with plenty of padding so I don't look super awkwardly shaped.

Poochie said...

They are all so cute. I especially love that shade of blue in the last one. I think I have a jacket and heels to match so maybe it would look like an outfit.

Best thing I ever did was get sized at Town Shop in NYC. They are the experts for sure and I've been a changed woman ever since.

Apocalypstick said...

Dude. Spanx makes an underwire bra and it's AWESOME. SPANX! Support and comfort! It's not that cute. But it's not that ugly. And it's $62, but every so often the Spanx site offers a 25% discount, and then it's reasonable. Register on their site and wait breathlessly for that day. Or buy full price, it's actually totally worth it: http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990081

Lisa said...

Oh cute, all of them! My bra collection's gone woefully bland in the last few years...this post makes me want to stock up on prettier underpinnings.

Anna said...

THANK YOU for finding a site for us tiny girls too! Bra shopping is so tough when you're small.

emily said...

love it! and at my school, a lot of cross-country girls just run in sport bras, and sometimes we have competitions to see who has the cutest. :)

huzzahvintage said...

already bookmarked the lulalu site! Have been a CK devotee for a long time, but they've discontinued by fave petite bra.

Madz said...

Try Fredericks of Hollywood! :] They're adorable and relatively inexpensive. AND they fit big busts. Ha.

Antoinette said...

The petite bra is adorable! I was just entertaining thoughts of sewing my own, too... seriously...

Amanda M. said...

Interesting you should link back to your "good foundation" entry. Re-reading it, I notice you said that when you got a book deal, you would treat yourself to a $100 bra. Have you done that yet? ^_^

WendyB said...

These are so cute -- too bad I'm constantly stuck wearing beige and black so that things don't show through.

Emily C. said...

I live in NZ, and the Elle MacPherson line has finally joined the real world and started coming out in cup sizes D to G. It'll be a while before it trickles down to the outlet stores where I usually buy my lingere!

Erin said...

i usually wear super cute bras like these. i just rock the plain VS - but only because they give me amazing cleavage.

Lindsay said...

Hey! I have (and am wearing) the second one! It is super comfy, I love it :) not to mention it came with matching panties!

Aww.. Bra Splerging..

Anonymous said...

The best bra: Gap T-Shirt Bra. OK, it's the absolute end of cuteness. I guess it's not as bad as it could be, but it's definitely lacking in flowers, lace, bows, etc. But they recently* redesigned them, and they're sooo comfy now, and just barely padded enough to prevent, you know, showing everybody your nips. And the new design is much better at preventing strap slip, while the old ones were really prone to it.

* By "recently", I mean "some time between when I bought my first ones, which was probably four to five years ago, and last month, when I finally bought two new ones.

Nadine said...

I have the Elle Macpherson one in about 5 different 2-tone colourways. (Elle Macpherson bras are really cheap in New Zealand if you go to the outlets.) It is super-cute and has padding which I need, since I am utterly tiny in the bustal region, and I've had kids, too.

Sarah-Rose said...

Ahhh weird experience. I'm wearing the Elle Macpherson bra right now.

Anonymous said...

nice pics! i actually thought the same thing about the elle macphearson one, but i tried it on, and well... not so cute on me. i was bummed.

Nicole P. said...

If you left the house like that, no shirt, just bra, you may inspire someone to start a 'doncha show ya ta-tas' thread!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin