Saturday, February 16, 2008

Construction Does Not Make My Day

My apartment building is under construction. Something about dry rot structural integrity class-action lawsuit blah blah blah...all I know is that they start banging on my walls at 7 in the morning, and since I tend to go to bed at around 4 in the morning (yes, I could leave you to assume it's because I'm out clubbing with my crew, but I'll fess up: More often than not I'm on the couch eating bite-sized peppermint patties and watching How It's Made), this is not a good time in my life.

If this construction were featured in a movie, I'd totally call it out for being unrealistic. It's comically bad. Like, the other day my brother and I were hanging out in my living room, and all of a sudden a hammer came through the wall. Sunlight poured through the hole and someone outside whimpered, "Ohhhhh....oops." A couple weeks ago one of the workers fell two stories to the pavement, and everyone ran outside expecting to see a mangled body, but instead the guy pops up off the ground, dusts himself off, and does a little jig to thunderous applause. It was like the Make 'Em Laugh sequence from Singin' in the Rain.

I think I would really enjoy these stories if they were happening to someone else, but there's a hole in my wall and constant bags under my eyes that are totally killing my buzz.

Now for a semi-awkward segue. A number of fabulous bloggers have bestowed a "You Make My Day" award upon Daddy Likey--thank you so much, daaahhlings! I thought it's as good a time as any to pass this honor along to a few of the blogs that manage to perk me up even when I'm trying to dodge hammers on three hours' sleep.

(Into) the Fray--Ambika is funny and stylish and genuine and she's from the Pacific Northwest, which ups her cool factor by, like, a thousand. Portland+Seattle=BFFL!

Fashion Binge--Awesome aesthetic, even better one-liners.

Kingdom of Style--Whenever I get stressed out about my life, I shriek, "Screw this! I'm going to Scotland to live with the Queens!" This gets me some weird looks on the bus, but oh well.

Painfully Hip--Two rad girls with rad taste makes for one rad blog.

Style Bubble and Style Bytes--I tend to group these two together, because they're right next to each other on my blogroll and they both fit in the category of "Europeans Who Are Way CoolerThan Me." But yeah, they both rock.

Fashion is Spinach--A fairly new find for me (I know, I know, where have I been?), it's quickly become a day-maker.

I could write about fifty more blogs, easy, but I've gotta be up in a few hours when the blinding sun streams through my decimated drywall. Damnit.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like Style Bytes trumps me in the cool stakes but being uncool has its perks....

I really must come up with of list of blogs that haven't been named yet....

Anonymous said...

Awwww...! I officially love you Winona. My day is sucking balls (I cannot seem to shake this flu and I woke up this morning with both my eyes glued shut), but now you've gone and made it.

Thanks, honey. Telepathic, non-contagious hugs to you...

Anonymous said...

Awww, thanks a bunch. And I'm totally blushing to be included with a list of blogs that are far more worthy than me (I think I'd be more tongue-tied meeting Agathe than Katie Holmes at this point--though if I met Katie Holmes, I probably wouldn't be able to stop talking in an attempt to figure out just how brainwashed is she.)

Also, you in red lips is the hotness.

Anonymous said...

I know this story should be more depressing than comical, but when you hear about hammers flying through your wall and people who jig after what was supposed to be their death- and it's happening to your friends sister- it's pretty damn hilarious.

However the bags under the eyes... terrible... just terrible... and How It's Made... we all know how it ends... into something completely made! So get some sleep... watch out for construction workers, they're usually lonely sweaty things, not Hollister models. Oh! And duck when you think you hear a hammer going through the wall.


This is the end of my very long, not so hilarious comment. Farewell W!

- That One Lindsay Grl

N/OutofFashion said...

The building would drive me insane.

I hope they all get done soon! x

Anonymous said...

Dignity, Winona. Always dignity.

Peajai said...

OMG I love How It's Made! The narrator's voice is so soothing, the items being made whizzing by on the assembly line... It's practically hypnotic. I feel ya.

Anonymous said...

The Palace quarters await your arrival Lady W....

Tamar said...

i've said it before, i'll say it again: wino forever!

for real: even though i know i don't "know you" know you, (though i feel like i do in an internet way), i feel totes proud of you for proving that some of the best "flogs" out there don't necessarily come from the front lines of fashion, from the people who sitting in the front rows in the tents -- they come from people like you, who have an innate eye for design, a sense of style and a wicked sense of humor. yay you!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin