Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Awesome Affordable Etsy Find of the Week!


Every year for my birthday and Christmas I ask for a baby goat. And every year, like my pleas for a Mighty Ducks DVD gift pack, this request is ignored by my family and friends, who insist that I couldn't fit a goat in my apartment (I could) and that I don't really view Coach Bombay as a father figure (I do).

Last night, at my birthday dinner with my family, one of my wishes kinda sorta came true.

When I opened my little brother Bob's gift, which was artfully wrapped in a stained brown paper bag and sealed with 15 hidden thumb tacks (thanks, kid), I found a framed "Certificate of Goat Milking Prowess," good for a lesson in basic goat care at a local farm.

At first I laughed nervously, thinking this was payback for Bob's 12th birthday, when the entire family pretended we had pooled our money to buy him 6 months of beekeeping lessons instead of the video game he so dearly desired. But then I looked around the table. No one was yelling, "Gotcha!" My brother Tona wasn't doubled over in hysterical laughter like he was for the beekeeping incident. My mom was beaming with excitement.

Finally Bob said, "I got it at the high school auction. Isn't this what you've always wanted?"

I laughed and clutched the frame to my chest. "Yes, Bob, it's exactly what I wanted."

p.s. Currently planning my perfect goat-milking outfit. Any suggestions?

25 comments:

Alpha Monkey said...

Wellies. Whatever else you wear...pair it with Wellies.

Katie said...

Lederhosen. And Heidi braids.

daddylikeyblog said...

AM--What about my Sorel boots--a similar look and function, right?

Katie--
My thoughts exactly.

Hannah said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who wants a Mighty Ducks DVD set...my life would be complete.

Valiant V said...

Aw Alpha Monkey stole my idea. 8)

http://looklet.com/user/401640

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

I was gonna say a cow bell but I don't know if that's right for a goat. So, a goat bell. Wear a goat bell.

Jenni said...

Your brother is a constant delight. Now all you need is a dirndl!

Eileen said...

All my friends and family ignore my request for the Mighty Ducks box set as well. THEY JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND.

Happy birthday!

Julia said...

Old jeans, old t-shirt, wellies of course, and a very cute hat. Its all about the hat. Perhaps one involving straw, or gingham.

C said...

I was watching Olympic hockey with a friend and kept on yelling at the US team to do the "Flying V", they never did and only got a silver medal. They should have Coach Bombay


http://thickthighfashion.blogspot.com/

C said...

While watching the Olympics I kept on yelling at the men's hockey to do the "Flying V". Sadly they did not and lost the gold. I think we all know why.

Sydney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sydney said...

Having a bunch of goats has seriously been a dream of mine since I was a small and slightly odd child. That is the most awesome present.
My sister showed me these (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Dwarf_(goat)), and I decided I must start a tiny farm with them, teacup piggies, and a mini border collie to herd.
Do you know what kind of goats they have at that farm?

SewSweetStitches said...

AwwwhahaAwwwwhaha!
Definitely wear a camera. At least.

Unknown said...

I think I have the winner here... and yes, you should accessorize with the possum. She's even churning butter. It's meant to be.

http://www.paulabecker.com/blog/images/ellie_possum_72.jpg

Jenniferocious said...

I'm thinking you play up the "farm girl" look. Completely. When else in life will you ever be able to, without feeling silly or costumey? I'm thinking plaid button up shirt, worn jeans, cowboy hat, the works. Pigtails are a must; be they braids or ponytails.

Also, I hope you had an amazing birthday. A fantastic gal like yourself deserves it. :)

befuddledb said...

boots Hunters are preferred, paired with items you won't mind getting covered in goat effluent, and a huge smile because you're living the dream.

HelsBells said...

You totaly need a Nigerian Dwarf Goat!!

http://www.opednews.com/populum/uploaded/nigerian-dwarf-goat-juliesjungle-2795-20090409-331.jpg

Pristine said...

Ooo! I know where you can get a goat...sorta: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/oxfam-unwrapped

Lisa said...

I hope you have a goat-y good time Winona! Happy birthday.

Anonymous said...

I have three Nigerian Dwarf goats...you would love them. Just wear jeans, a tshirt and your hair in a ponytail. Goats love to chew hair. And don't worry about goat berries...just wear your Sorels or a pair of hiking boots.

And happy birthday!

Rachel said...

I just blogged about goat cheese! Can we have a goat themed party this summer? We can wear cashmere and eat cheese and, uh, bathe with that soap...

Okay this is my worst party idea ever, but we're still doing it, right?

Annie Spandex said...

I see soap like that and I just want to eat it. I've tried tasting soap more times than I should probably admit. I'll never learn.

Glad you had a good birthday! Mine is next week. Woo woo Tauruses <3

Emily said...

Holla! I am the owner of said goats...they are beautiful Nubian does! I would recommend wearing
a)boots
b)pants(as opposed to a skirt, not as opposed to...well...)
c)clothing that you don't mind getting milk on/rained on/chewed on.
Plus, we just had new babies yesterday, so hopefully you'll get to see them soon!
Happy Birthday!

Radu Prisacaru said...

A round of applause for your article post. Thanks Again. Keep writing.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin