Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Five Things I Bought at the Gap This Weekend That Made Me Love the Gap Even Though I Usually Hate the Gap

I hate the Gap. There, I said it. I can never find anything there and their jeans make my butt look like a moose face (don't ask for clarification, just trust me on that, OK?). Every time I have actually bought something at the Gap it has disintegrated in a matter of days, in the most dramatic way possible, like while I'm doing a book reading and my Gap cardigan suddenly implodes into a little pile of ash, leaving me in my bra in front of a large crowd, mumbling about how important it is to invest in high quality pieces.

Yet, despite all this, I walked into the Gap this weekend. I was desperate for some new basics, had exhausted all my other shopping options, and couldn't help but be drawn in by a giant red sign in the window screaming, "Buy any top get one free!"

I walked out with these five new things and I love them all and only one of them is starting to disintegrate:

Lace-Trimmed Cami: Few things get me as excited as a towering stack of colorful tanktops with white lace trim. Add in the buy-one-get-one-free thing, and I was definitely crying joyous tears in my dressing room, slapping myself in the face and whispering, "Keep it together, Winona, for the love of god!"

Boyfriend Banker Shirt: This breezy button-up is flattering, perfect for work, on mega sale, and also a little Debra Morgan-ish, no? (Yes, I'm obsessed.)

Favorite Ribbed Tank: Completely necessary for summer.

Boyfriend Sweater: I think out of everything I bought, this is gonna be the piece that I regret. I wore it today to a Celine Dion pizza dance party (again, please don't ask for clarification, just trust me), and it's already looking awkwardly stretched out. Curse you, Gap! Curse you to hell! Actually, JK about that, because I really like this next thing I got:

Cropped Utility Anorak: I've been looking for a lightweight spring jacket for what seems like an eternity (and in the meantime, donning my bulky North Face down coat to ward off even the slightest breeze or sprinkle of rain). As soon as I saw this sassy little number, before I even tried it on, I knew it was The One, and I've worn it pretty much constantly ever since: rain or shine, day or night, inside or outside.

17 comments:

Sarah xo said...

Haha Celine Dion pizza party? :p I don't even want clarification, it sounds perfectly awesome!

I love that jacket. I agree, it's perfect noon or night, love it. I'm the same with Gap, really. Not a mahoosive fan, but it does have its moments.

Hope none of these burn to ash and leave you semi-naked :p xo

SHOEGAL said...

Don't you find the tops at Gap are made of really thin fabric? Perhaps it is just in the UK, but everything in there is so flimsy!

Lovers, Saints & Sailors said...

I have a pair of gap tights that I cut the band off the top of (I won't ask if you don't) that I've had for about 8 years now. I got them on sale for a buck 99 or so. They're still one of my favourite pairs.
It's amazing what lasts.

Renee said...

gap jeans stretch out in a matter of Seconds, then have to be washed again so as not to look like oldmanpants. ridiculous. i like their basics, but i like Target's basics a bit more---their long tanks are $6 and the Best Ever!




thriftypoet.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

All awesome choices - sorry about the sweater because it's really cute. The only place that sells clothes that disintegrate faster than the Gap, is it's low-rent little brother Old Navy. If you can wash one of their "garments" once and not have a hole in it, you're doing well! They must invest all their manufacturing savings in TV advertising. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I've had Gap items that have lasted since high school! Maybe it's that crazy Oregonian climate that makes them turn to dust ... either way, I'm jealous of that anorak. SO cute.

WendyB said...

I bought one of their fancy "American Woman" shirts and I have to return it. The XS is too big. And I'm not that tiny.

Renée T. Habashy said...

That jacket is fantastic, but I agree with you about the Gap. I usually skip them altogether and head over to Old Navy- essentially the same exact company, and nearly the same clothes, for about half the price and they last just about as long, often longer. The other thing I hate about the Gap is how EVERY pair of pants I've ever purchased from them has stretched out dramatically the first time I wear them, basically making them a full size bigger. HATE.

Diana said...

I sorta kinda like the gap. I'm also a little part hobo, so I guess I kinda like the broken down look and worn in tops that are soft and comfy.

Sara Darling said...

I am endeavoring not to shout out "testify" at my desk. Gap jeans do horrible things to my butt too. But I do like them for camisoles and t-shirts, and I just got some cotton/cashmere blend cardigans for sale on their web site that I am quite enjoying.

None said...

Funny post, and so easy to relate to -- I bought two of those lace camis myself. I've had pretty good luck with Gap's quality, only one cardigan that didn't hold up well.

Bea said...

The Gap here [Philippines] is ridiculously overpriced. Like thousands for a basic t-shirt. So I never really bothered.

The anorak is a great buy though :) Real tough!

B from A plus B

Rosie Unknown said...

R: I feel your pain! I have a pair of black jeans from the Gap, and they look amazing straight out of the wash, but the minute I bend over to put on a sock, they become loose and icky.

Beauty Bets said...

I lovingly refer to everything I've bought from the Gap as "throw-away clothes." Everything stretches out WHILE YOU ARE WEARING IT. No more. Except for a pair of boyfriend jeans I live in. Most incredible.

Beauty Bets said...

I loving refer to the Gap as "throw-away clothes". Everything stretches out WHILE YOU ARE WEARING IT. No more. Except for a pair of boyfriend jeans I picked up last season. Surprisingly amazing.

North Back Packs said...

I agree... the jacket was really awesome. I not a GAP lover but i have some gap shirt which are great and it lasts for 5 years.

Leslie, Lemon Sweet Life said...

I really love that jacket but I am sad it sold out online and now I am actually going to have to walk into a Gap store and try to find it!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin