Sunday, November 26, 2006

Fashion Humane Society: Adopt This Dress

Ambika over at one of my favorite blogs, The Fray, just mentioned an online store called Posh Girl Vintage in one of her posts. Being a lover of vintage who has been unable to go thrift or vintage shopping for nearly four months now (there is one questionable-smelling Salvation Army near me and that's it), suffering daily without the aid of a Nicorette-style patch for thrift shopping withdrawals (by the way, if someone finally decides to invent that, it should be Pucci print), I visited the site and immediately fell in love with basically everything they carry.

I fell most in love with this dress, a Gay Gibson from the 1940's:

When I saw it, I gasped with glee and enjoyed an instant mental montage of all the amazing outfits it could create: wear it with opaque black tights and black platforms, wear it as a jumper with a long-sleeve shirt underneath, wear it to a party with a big black fur swing coat, wear it with dainty high-heeled sandals and a killer up-do. It's just glorious, isn't it? The picture here doesn't even do it justice; look at it here.

This dress is both so perfect and so not my size that it has sparked a new feature here at Daddy Likey: the Fashion Humane Society. Every once in a while, when I come across an amazing, one-of-a-kind vintage item that I can't adopt myself, I will advertise it here and hopefully someone will take it in and give it the love it deserves.

If any of you lovely readers are a size 0-2 and have an extra $165 laying around or a glaring void in your Christmas list, I urge you to buy this dress. For holiday parties or just looking hot in general, it is perfection and must be given a good, stylish home as soon as possible. Open your heart. Adopt.

4 comments:

Carissa Duhamel said...

!!!
It may be just a tad big, but thats just about my size! That is adorable, its so dainty but not in an overly annoying Stepford wife kind of way. Yeah, I think that will be going on my gift list. Thank you!

Oh, what's your size (if you don't mind, I know thats kind of really rude)? If I find anything amazing and one of a kind that happens to be just your size I will forward it to you, d'accord.

daddylikeyblog said...

Carissa-
Yay! I was actually thinking of you when I posted this! I was like, "hmm...I wonder if this is her size?" I'd be so happy if you gave it the tres chic home it deserves.
I'm usually about a 10, although in vintage clothes it can be way depressingly bigger than that cuz everyone was so tiny back then, damnit. But yeah, 10ish.

Anonymous said...

Aw,thanks for the shout out. And man, I do not know what I would do in your situation--no thrift stores nearby?! I know I'd have some serious withdrawal.

That was definitely one of my favorite dresses from that site. Very pretty & so classic. I hope it finds a nice home (looking at you, Carissa.)

Chanel (nbr5) said...

Wow. Now I'm itching to check that site out! There's not a lot of vintage where I am either (there may be a few finds in New Orleans, which is about an hour away from where I am). I used to frequent Wasteland on Melrose and American Rag on La Brea when I was in school in Los Angeles, but after I moved back home, my vintage shopping habit became pretty much non-existent. I do miss it. Maybe Posh Girl Vintage is just the site to get me back in the swing of things!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin