Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Slankalicious!

I am cold. Mega cold. Like, Donner Party cold (too soon? no?). I just got back to Oregon from a four month stint in Hawaii, and I'm having a hard time adjusting from 80 degree humidity to 29 degree freezing rain and a father who believes our glorious home heating system was never meant to be used.

I was in front of the computer, shivering, wearing every item of clothing I own plus a tower of wool hats trying to find something cute to post today but feeling that nothing looked warm enough, when my 11-year-old brother walked in and said "Hey Nona, I found something you should post on your fashion blog." He was carrying a copy of PC Gamer magazine--a publication not usually known for its up-to-the-minute fashion coverage--so my initial reaction was "God no!", but when I remembered that just a few moments ago I had concocted a full and detailed plan for cooking our jack russell terrier (should the need arise) before realizing that the cold was making me completely insane, I decided not to trust my own judgment and invited him to show me his find.

Freezing fashionistas and videogame-obsessed nerds alike, I present to you, The Slanket:

It's a blanket. With sleeves! I know the name kind of sounds like a racial slur, and the guy in this picture is way too excited about his joystick, but, well, here, look at this picture instead:

See? She's warm. She's lounging. She's reading Us Weekly with ease due to the convenient sleeves on her Slanket!

PC Gamer points out that The Slanket would also work perfectly as a fleece wizard robe, which tells you a lot about the kind of people who read that magazine, but you know what else you could do in a Slanket? Blog! As I struggle to reach the keyboard over the 3-foot orb of layered down jackets I'm currently wearing, I think The Slanket might be the greatest idea in the history of the mankind.

Check them out for yourself here. You know you want to.

p.s. Since my brother did give me the inspiration for his post, here's a link to his videogame blog. It's a lot like the blog that glowing blue guy in the first picture would write if he had one, but if you want to give an enterprising, Metroid-obsessed sixth grader some blog traffic, or a couple comments, that would be great. He did introduce us sheltered InStyle readers to The Slanket, after all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh how comfy does that look

Anonymous said...

Laughing but also strangely intrigued. Especially given my boyfriend's inability to toss his ratty Mexican poncho blanket hybrid things he insists on flinging at me when I'm freezing my ass off.

Chanel (nbr5) said...

Oh wow! I LOVE it! And without even seeing the price first! I'll have to have one for next winter.. I'm always COLD! I usually keep 2 or 3 different blankets on the sofa with me, so this would work out perfectly.

mareGa said...

hilarious yet comfortable/desirable...

Anonymous said...

This is amazing! You could actually live in it, as there is plenty of room in there to store essential items like food and moisturiser, geez what else would you need?! I'm totally sold on the Slanket.

Anonymous said...

OOOHHH! Such an obvious need! I would love to have it in a hot pink of sea green! LOVE IT!

Alice said...

I actually fantasize about things like this. It's the sort of magical comfort objects that babies get, except large!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I know this post is far in the past, but I must let everyone know I bought the slanket for my mom and she loves it. Thanks for the tip, Winona! Love your blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin